Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Manchester, NH

How to Verify a Professional's License in Manchester?

The New Hampshire Office of Professional Licensure and Certification (OPLC) handles the licensure of eligible professionals in Manchester. The OPLC performs this function by providing administrative support to over 40 professional boards and commissions regulating professionals in Manchester and other cities in New Hampshire. When considering hiring a professional in Manchester, it is important to confirm that the individual has been licensed by the OPLC. You can confirm a professional's license status using the OPLC licensing search tool.

Having verified your professional's license status, you must ensure that this individual obtains the required permits for the job. Making sure of this helps you avoid city fines and other penalties. For example, carrying out home improvement or construction work without a permit in Manchester is punishable by a fine of up to $500. Building permits are issued by Manchester Planning and Community Development Department via its Building Division. You can make inquiries on the processes and requirements for obtaining a building permit with the Planning and Community Development Department by calling (603) 624-6450.

New Hampshire Contractor License Search:

Do Manchester Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Manchester is governed by a mayor and a board of directors known as Aldermen. The board of mayor and aldermen, as these individuals are collectively referred to, is the legislative body of the city, and each member is elected every two years by residents of Manchester. While the board of mayor and aldermen can serve as the link between residents of the city and the government, they do not perform this role alone. Different neighborhood organizations work to ensure that their members and residents of the city participate in the decisions that affect their community. These neighborhood organizations include neighborhood associations, homeowners associations, civic associations, and community unions, and they do not issue permits for home improvement or construction of work. However, they are typically created to improve the quality of life of residents or their members. For example, NeighborWorks Southern New Hampshire is an organization that improves the lives of its members by providing access to quality housing services, implementing neighborhood revitalization programs, and supporting opportunities for personal empowerment. Similarly, the Building Community in New Hampshire provides free classes in English and American civics to Bhutanese refugees in preparation for their naturalization exam.

How Do You File an Unfair Business

Residents of Manchester can file an unfair business complaint with the Consumer Protection Bureau of the New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General. There are two ways to file a consumer complaint with the bureau. On one hand, you can file your complaint with the bureau online. However, this option requires you to create a user account first. To create this account, you need to click on the register link provided on the complaint webpage and follow the instructions provided. You must ensure that your account is activated by clicking on the link that will be sent to your mail. Once these steps are carried out successfully, you can proceed to file your complaint online. On the other hand, if you do not wish to create an account, you can download, complete, and mail a consumer complaint form to:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau
  • 33 Capitol Street
  • Concord, NH 03301

Note that the Consumer Protection Bureau of the New Hampshire Office of the Attorney General reviews complaints in the order in which they are received. The bureau typically resolves consumer complaints via methods like investigation, mediation, and arbitration. However, residents who are not satisfied with the way their complaint was handled by the bureau can consider filing a civil action against the business in question. You can file matters involving a total value of $10,000 or less as small claims at:

  • New Hampshire Circuit Court
  • 9th Circuit, District Division
  • 35 Amherst Street
  • Manchester, NH 03101

Finally, you can report complaints involving criminal offenses to the Manchester Police Department by calling (603) 668-8711.